About SVSS

The Student Volunteer Support Service is provided by the SRC for all Glasgow University students and offers give you the chance to undertake a wide range of volunteering opportunities both on and off campus, and to provide a valuable link and input into the local community.

How to Contact Us

You can call in to the Student Volunteer Support Service office on the Ground Floor of the John McIntyre Building any time during opening hours and you don’t have to make an appointment.  At busy times you will need to wait in the Welcome Point area, letting a member of staff know that you want to see the Coordinator.

Tel: 0141 330 5360
Email: volunteer@src.gla.ac.uk

What Do We Do?

Do you ever feel like you are stuck in the “west end bubble”? Are you tired of reading negative press stories about students, think that you could use your time at Glasgow to do something positive and enhance your employability skills?

Well, you can.


It’s easy. Check out the projects run by the SRC on this page, “like” our Volunteering at Glasgow Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @VolunteerGU. Also, look out for Volunteering events during the year, such as in Fresher’s Week and Volunteer Week.

Support – What can we do to help?


  • Disclosure: Some projects, like Classroom Support or ‘Elderly Befriender’ (basically, anything where you will be regularly working with children or vulnerable adults) will require that you become a member of Disclosure Scotland’s Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme. All you have to do is fill in the form, but we advise you to learn a little bit more about the scheme, how it works, why it’s important, and what’s involved: PVG

What else?

  • Training & Support: Our external partners provide training,induction and support to you as a volunteer. The SVSS Coordinator is on hand to help if any issues arise.
  • Travel Expenses are paid by the SRC for Classroom Support volunteers. Our partner agencies usually reimburse you directly.
  • Help to decide which volunteering options work best with your schedule and needs.

What recognition do students get for volunteering?

Some of our SVSS volunteering opportunities are HEAR eligible (details below) and this year we are working on redeveloping the annual “Volunteering, Clubs and Socieites” (VCS) Awards to include a “Pride in volunteering” award nominated by our partner organisations.

What is HEAR?

Since 2011/12 the University has recognised many extracurricular activities on the University transcript which you receive upon graduation.

The Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) will not only list all of your academic achievements, but also many other achievements as well, providing you meet the criteria for each activity. This helps to demonstrate that you have developed skills and knowledge that contribute to your personal and professional development and enables you to provide employers with an official record of your accomplishments, verified by the University

These officially recognised extra-curricular activities include:

  • Being elected council member or board member of one of the 4 student bodies on campus (QMU, GUU, GUSA and the SRC)
  • Being elected as a class representative
  • Being an office bearer in an SRC affiliated Club or Society (e.g President, Secretary, Treasurer)
  • Many of the volunteering opportunities offered through SVSS

How to apply for HEAR recognition

If you have a recognised office bearer role or are an eligible SVSS volunteer we will contact you by email and ask you to complete the reflective log online at volunteer.src.gla.ac.uk and submit it by a set deadline.

If you are involved with QMU, GUSA, GUU then you will be contacted by them directly, and if you are a Class Representative then your individual school should be in touch with you.

It is really important, and expected, that students take personal responsibility for completing and returning their HEAR form within the given time period as HEAR is not generally recognised retrospectively.

The list of activities eligible for the HEAR is not exhaustive and you should check with the body responsible for supporting your extracurricular activity if you are unsure of its HEAR status.