EU students and the Brexit Settlement Scheme
The SRC has received some enquiries from students asking about the UK Government’s settlement scheme for EU citizens. Whilst there is a great deal still unknown about Brexit, we have gathered together some information which may help.
What is the settlement scheme?
- If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status, depending on how long you have lived in the UK.
- The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- You may be able to stay in the UK without applying – for example, if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain.
- You can apply now if you meet the criteria. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021 (assuming the UK leaves with a deal).
- If the UK leaves the EU without a deal you will need to be living in the UK before it leaves the EU to apply. The deadline for applying will be 31 December 2020.
- It’s free to apply to the scheme.
Links below with more information:
Other useful links/FAQs:
Do I need to apply to the scheme?
Check this information from the UK Council for International Student Affairs https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information–Advice/EU-EEA–Swiss-Students/Brexit—EU-Settlement-Scheme
I need to upload documents on an Android device. Where can I access one?
The University’s International Student Support team is offering support with this and holding drop-in sessions: Monday and Wednesday 2.00 – 4.30 and Friday 9.00 – 12.00, in pod 3 or 4 on Level 2 in the Fraser Building – there will be a stand where students can take a ticket in order to queue.
Alternatively, check this list of document scanning locations. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-settlement-scheme-id-document-scanner-locations
Further help with applications
EU Citizens’ Support Service
Telephone 0800 916 9847
Monday to Friday, 9 am – 5 pm
This service is for EU citizens who would like to apply for settled status but have extra needs. For example
- difficulty accessing an Android mobile phone
- difficulty getting the evidence needed to apply
- at greater risk due to personal circumstances
- specific immigration or residency issues
EU Settlement Resolution Centre
Telephone: 0300 123 7379
Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays), 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9:30am to 4:30pm