Welfare Week – Sources of Support

Being a student can be incredibly stressful. The pressure of study, assignments and exams, part-time work can all take their toll. Don’t suffer alone. There are numerous support services out there and here’s our guide to some of the most important ones:


Student Counselling and Psychological Services


This confidential service is run by the University with qualified counsellors there to discuss your concerns.  They also run mindfulness courses and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy courses. Appointments can be made  online in advance or a drop in service is offered on a first come, first serve basis every morning. CAPS can also arrange a translator if you would be more comfortable not using English, and have a full time Mandarin speaking counsellor.

Your doctor

It’s vital to register with a doctor as soon as you move to Glasgow. It’s easy for them to transfer your medical records and means when you really need their help everything is at their fingertips. The Barclay Medical Centre, located in the Fraser building, is a doctor’s surgery specifically for Glasgow students. They’re well used to seeing common student  complaints and it’s handy for popping in between lectures. If you’d prefer to register with a different GP then www.nhs24.com has a list of nearby surgeries.

Remember, if your health is affecting your work and your ability to get things in on time or attend exams, you must submit a good cause notification along with a doctor’s note.  If you are unsure how to do this, your Adviser of Studies should be able to guide you.

Someone to listen


08457 90 90 90


Samaritans are avaliable 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to listen to you, about anything and everything that may be troubling you. You don’t have to be suicidal to talk to the Samaritans. On the phone, through email, or in person at their branch on West George St (open 9am-10pm), the Samaritans are expert, experienced and confidential listeners.


0141 334 9516


Nightline is a confidential support and information service open every evening during term time from 7pm to 7am. The service is run by trained student volunteers and can be useful if you just need a listening ear of if you have forgotten the venue of your 9am exam.


Adviser of Studies

Your Adviser of Studies is there to help you with any academic-related issues such as choosing courses, advice on the course credits you need for your degree, and any problems or absences which might affect your studies. The contact details for your Adviser of Studies can be found in the My Student Centre of MyCampus.

 Student Learning Service


The Student Learning Service works from the upstairs of the reading room, where they run a number of one to one sessions and group workshops to help you achieve your academic potential.  Topics include exam technique, effective note-taking and time management.  They have effective learning advisers for every college as well as providing dedicated help with academic writing or numeracy.

Disability Service


The disability service co-ordinates support for any student with a disability or chronic medical condition. Support can range from the loan of mobility scooters to extra time in exams.  Students with a disability or medical problem requiring support must register with the disability service, who won’t pass on any sensitive personal data without your permission.  If you feel you may have an undiagnosed learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, then the Disability Service can arrange for an assessment to consider if you will be eligible for any support.  Each school also has a member of academic staff who serves as the disability coordinator for the school, ensuring adequate support and provision for students in that school.

Advice on general matters

SRC Advice Centre



The advice centre is staffed by professional advice staff who can help on a range of issues,

from academic appeals to accommodation advice to money worries. Even if they’re unable to help, they’ll be able to point you in the right direction as to where to get the support you need.

International Student Support


Moving country to study can be daunting, and the International Student Support team can help with any visa and immigration issues you may have. The International Student Support service can help students with the practical aspects of living and studying in Glasgow

The Registry


The Registry are responsible for the distribution of financial aid as well as organising examinations and graduations.