Your rights

Know your tenancy rights and your landlord’s responsibilities.

What to do if…

Something needs repaired

Your landlord has a responsibility to undertake repairs and make sure that the flat meets the “Repairing Standard” at all times during your tenancy. This includes ensuring that the flat is wind and watertight, that the heating and hot water are working and that any appliances supplied as part of the tenancy agreement are in working order.  Gas and electrical safety are also covered by this standard.

Contact your landlord or his/her agent in the first instance to get repairs done. Keep a note of when you contacted them, in case you need to chase it up. A reasonable length of time to carry out a repair depends on the nature of the problem – serious risks to your health and safety should be dealt with urgently, whereas more minor repairs might take a little bit longer.

My landlord won’t do the repairs

From 1st December 2016, tenants can ask the Housing and Property Chamber Tribunal to force their landlord to carry out repairs which are related to the Repairing Standard. (Prior to 1st December 2016, this was known as the Private Rented Housing Panel).

Before the HPC will consider your case, you have to be able to demonstrate that you have reported the problem to your landlord and given him/her a reasonable chance to respond. So it’s a good idea to keep copies of any letters or emails you send your landlord about the repairs.  For a template letter you can customise and send to your landlord, see our ‘Repairs‘ page.

You can download an application form, together with details of the Repairing Standard, from the HPC website.

You can also call into the Advice Centre in the John McIntyre Building for more help and advice.

My flat is infested with bugs

Contact your landlord or the council’s environmental health officer (EHO), in the first instance. For Environmental Health contact details and more information about pest control, check out Glasgow City Council’s website.

The neighbours are really noisy

First try and speak to your neighbour, because it might just be that they don’t realise how noisy they are. If this does not help, contact your landlord or the Environmental Health Department.

Breach of contract or Threat of Eviction

If one of your flatmates breaks the contract or your landlord threatens to evict you, contact the SRC Advice Centre. The same applies if you have problems getting your deposit back when you move out.

I don’t get on with my flatmates anymore

It will be a lot easier if you can work things out with your flatmates. Try talking things through with them, and let them know how you’re feeling to see if there’s anything you can do to make things better. If you do decide to move out of your flat early, you will have to negotiate this with your landlord or you could end up being liable to pay the remaining months’ rent.

This doesn’t mean that you have to accept upsetting or threatening behaviour though – if this is happening, contact the Advice Centre to discuss your options.

Useful Contacts

SRC Advice Centre
0141 330 5360

Glasgow University Residential Services
0141 330 4743

0808 800 4444 (M-F, 9-5)

Student pad (independent website)

Glasgow City Council
HMO Unit  – 0300 343 0414

HSE gas safety advice line (9-5.30 M-Th, 9-5 Fr)
0800 300 363

National Grid (gas leaks) 24 hour hotline
0800 111 999

Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society