How to apply for an SRC grant
The SRC offers grants to affiliated societies to support their activities. Here is what you need to know in order to apply for a grant and how to claim it if you are successful.
APPLYING FOR SRC GRANTS
All applications are considered on their own merit and grants are awarded on a needs basis. You can download an application here.
To be eligible to apply for a grant clubs must
- Have at least two committee members who have attended a current induction session in this year*
- Have a treasurers bank account in the name of the club. No funds will be released to a personal bank account.
- Sports Clubs would be ineligible to apply for SRC grants but would be able to book rooms and the SRC minibus to support their activities.
*If you are going to be unable to attend an induction session before the deadline for applying for your grant (see below**) please contact email@example.com asap.
The SRC will not normally consider the following:
- General trips
- Gifts for speakers
- Room hire costs for venues in the university and the unions
- Non-essential club branded clothing
- Car Hire/ Minibus Hire (where the SRC minibus is available)
- Fundraising events
Grant applications must:
- Be completed by a committee member (generally the treasurer) who is listed on the SRC affiliation form
- Include details of what is being applied for, why it is required, and a cost breakdown
- Be submitted in advance of the event being applied for and before any items, tickets etc. have been purchased.
- Be submitted along with a bank statement which is less than two months old or proof of opening.
Grant applications are considered at the meetings of the clubs and societies committee which usually occur every fortnight.
For applications over £200 we will require a committee member to meet with the clubs and societies committee to discuss the application in more detail. You will be contacted by email to arrange this.
Factors that are taken into consideration by the committee are:
- Quality of the proposal and its impact on equal opportunities and inclusion
- The club’s ability to manage their finances
- The SRC clubs and societies budget
- The application’s contribution to the SRC’s overall strategic objectives
- Potential access to alternative resources
If you require advice on completing your application or on your meeting with the committee please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any lobbying or attempt to circumvent the applications process may see your application disqualified.
The final deadline for submitting any grant applications for the year 2017/18 is 1st June 2018 and all grants must be claimed by the 30th June 2018 at the latest.
CLAIMING AN SRC GRANT
Grants must be claimed within six weeks of the award being made, otherwise they may not be allocated to your club.
To claim an SRC Grant a listed committee member must
- Email a photograph relating to your grant award to email@example.com (i.e. how you used the grant)
- Come to the Welcome Point with all relevant receipts*
- Complete the relevant forms at the Welcome Point
- Provide proof of display of the SRC Logo when this was a condition of the grant
*No grants can be paid without a receipt or invoice. The receipt must be for the item you were awarded, otherwise this will not be allocated. Invoices should also be addressed directly to the club.
Clubs that are awarded grants will be asked to submit a short report (500 words max) on how the grant was beneficial to the club, its members and the wider university community.
Collecting feedback is extremely valuable to us, and helps inform our own funding applications. In this way you could help with securing further funding for clubs and societies in the future.
We recognise that clubs/societies may not have the funds to make up front purchases where the items are expensive.
In this situation, the club can request that the SRC make payment directly to the supplier. You must contact the SRC before making any commitment on our behalf; we will happily talk to the supplier for you. Please note it can take up to 5 working days for the SRC to process any payments.