How to apply for an SRC grant
The SRC offers grants to affiliated societies to support their activities. Here is what you need to know in order to apply for a grant and how to claim it if you are successful.
APPLYING FOR SRC GRANTS
Grant applications for 2020/21 are now open. The deadline to apply for a grant is 14th May, 2021.
In order to apply for an SRC Clubs and Societies grant, you must complete the online application form and submit a club/society bank statement (this should be less than 2 months old) to email@example.com. When emailing your bank statement please tell us the date you submitted your online application form.
To be eligible to apply for a grant, clubs/societies must have at least two currently listed Office Bearers who have attended an induction session within the current academic year. Grants cannot be applied for retrospectively, so clubs must plan ahead and submit a grant application prior to making any payments that you would potentially make a claim for. If your club/society is unable to attend an induction session before applying for your grant please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
All applications are considered on their own merit and grants are awarded on a needs basis.
Grant applications must:
- Be completed by a currently listed office bearer (generally the Treasurer).
- Include details of what is being applied for, why it is required, and a cost breakdown.
- Be submitted in advance of the event being applied for and before any items, tickets etc. have been purchased.
- Be submitted along with a bank statement (emailed to email@example.com) which is less than two months old or, alternatively, proof of opening. If a club does not have a bank account then we can still consider your application however, if successful, we would only pay funds into a club bank account, or in some cases could arrange to pay a supplier directly. Under no circumstances will funds be released into a personal bank account.
The SRC will not normally consider the following:
- General trips
- Gifts for speakers
- Room hire costs for venues in the university and the unions
- Non-essential club branded clothing
- Car Hire/ Minibus Hire (where the SRC minibus is available)
- Fundraising events
Grant applications are considered at the meetings of the Clubs and Societies Committee which usually occur every fortnight during semesters one and two.
Please note that we may contact you with further questions regarding your application. In some cases, a meeting might need to be set up between a maximum of two currently listed office bearers and the Clubs and Societies Committee to discuss your application in more detail. You will be contacted by email to arrange this.
Factors that are taken into consideration by the committee are:
- Quality of the proposal and its impact on equal opportunities and inclusion
- The club’s ability to manage their finances
- The SRC Clubs and Societies budget
- The application’s contribution to the SRC’s overall strategic objectives
- Potential access to alternative resources
If you require advice on completing your application or on your meeting with the committee please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Any lobbying or attempt to circumvent the applications process may see your application disqualified.
CLAIMING AN SRC GRANT
Grants must be claimed either within six weeks of the award being made or up to two weeks after the event has taken place – whichever is later.
You can claim an SRC grant either in person or online.
To claim an SRC Grant online, a currently listed Office Bearer must:
- Email invoices/receipts relevant to the costs you were awarded funding for to email@example.com
- Provide confirmation of the club/society bank details the funds are to be transferred to. A scan of a recent bank statement showing your club name, account number and sort code would suffice.
- Provide proof of display of the SRC Logo when this was a condition of the grant
To claim an SRC Grant in person, a currently listed Office Bearer must:
- Bring all receipts/invoices relevant to the costs you were awarded funding for to the SRC Welcome Point..
- Complete a payment slip with the bank details of your society.
No grants can be paid without a receipt or invoice. The receipt must be for the item you were awarded, otherwise this will not be allocated. Invoices should also be addressed directly to the club/society (where possible).
Clubs that are awarded grants will be asked to submit a short report (500 words max) on how the grant was beneficial to the club, its members and the wider university community.
Collecting feedback is extremely valuable to us, and helps inform our own funding applications. In this way you could help with securing further funding for clubs and societies in the future.
We recognise that clubs/societies may not have the funds to make upfront purchases where the items are expensive.
In this situation, the club can request that the SRC can make payment directly to the supplier. You must contact the SRC before making any commitment on our behalf; we will happily talk to the supplier for you. Please note it can take up to 5 working days for the SRC to process any payments.
If you have any questions on the SRC Grant process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org