Registering with a doctor and knowing where to go if you feel unwell should be one of the first things you organise when you come to University, so find out how to register with a GP and other useful information on healthcare.


Information and guidance on the current Coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak.

EU students and Healthcare after Brexit

The EHIC scheme is coming to an end on 31st December 2020 (this being the end of the UK’s transition period for leaving the EU).  However, all overseas students studying full time in Scotland are exempt from being charged for most NHS services under the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) (Scotland) Regulations 1989.  This exemption will apply even after 31/12/20, as long as you are a full-time student.

If you are currently an EU student and you plan to stay in the UK longer than the length of your studies, and exercise a ‘Right to Reside’, it is advisable that you have comprehensive sickness insurance and also apply for (pre) settled status (see our previous information on the settlement scheme). If (pre) settled status is granted this will then allow you to access free NHS health care after your studies end.

Useful Information

UK Government information on the Right to Reside

Citizens’ Advice information on the Right to Reside

UKCISA – Health and Healthcare

UKCISA – Healthcare in the UK for EU, EEA and Swiss Students

Citizens Advice – NHS Charges for People from Abroad

Finding Healthcare

If you need to find a doctor in the local area then one option is to contact the Barclay Medical Practice which has an office on campus. You can also search for your local doctor or dentist at NHS 24.  If you’re not sure what health services are available in your local area, you can also check information on the NHS Inform website.

If you are worried about your health you might want to chat to your GP, or the University’s Counselling & Psychological Service.

If you are already registered with a GP outside of Glasgow, please note that you are only allowed to be permanently registered with one GP in the UK at any given time. You can however still approach any GP surgery for emergency treatment whilst in Glasgow. They are able to register you as a ‘temporary resident’ for up to 3 months.  Beyond this 3 months, you would be expected to  switch your GP from your home GP to a Glasgow-based one for the duration of your study.

Studies affected by Ill Health

If there is a chance that ill health might affect your coursework or preparation for an exam, you should talk to your Adviser of Studies or supervisor as soon as you can so that reasonable allowances can be made, for example extension of a deadline or deferment of an exam. If at all possible, don’t wait until after the exam or deadline has passed.

You should also ensure any absences or instances of “good cause” are recorded in your MyCampus so the University can consider these when calculating your grades. The University’s Regulations define “good cause” as meaning

illness or other adverse personal circumstances affecting a candidate and resulting in either:

i) the candidate’s failure to attend an examination, or submit coursework at or by the due time or otherwise satisfy the requirements of the scheme of assessment appropriate to his or her programme of studies; or,
ii) the candidate’s performance in examination or other instrument of assessment being manifestly prejudiced.

A chronic medical condition shall not itself be considered a good cause, although a short term exacerbation of such a condition might be so judged.”

If you’re unsure if you should be recording something as “good cause” you can check with your Adviser of Studies/Supervisor or speak with the SRC Advice Centre.

Prescription Charges and other Health Costs

Prescription charges in Scotland have been abolished since April 2011. Dental checks and sight tests are also free for everyone on the NHS.

If you are 19 years old or over, you are more than likely still paying for glasses and other dental treatment. However, you can apply for help with these costs under the Low Income Scheme. You need to fill in a HC1 form, and the scheme will then determine whether you can afford to pay towards the cost of your treatment, and if so, how much. If you are eligible for help, you receive a certificate. You need to reapply for this every year.

You can get more information about help with health costs by phoning the helpline on 0300 330 1343.