How do I start a club or society?
So you have an idea for a society, its completely unique and there is no other like it already on campus. You want to affiliate to the SRC so you can grow your society to new heights but where do you start?
SRC Affiliation for 2019/20 is now closed. Affiliation for 2020/21 will open at the start of the next academic year.
*Please note our building is currently closed, but we are working form home and still responding to emails. If you would like to enquire about affiliating your club for next year, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. *
Affiliation with the SRC is a simple process, but it is not automatic.
In order to apply to affiliate with the SRC, clubs must submit the following, in person, to the SRC Welcome Point –
- Completed Affiliation Application form
- Signed GUSRC clubs and societies equal opportunities statement
- Full list of members, including the student numbers of all current student members
- Club Constitution (societies who are re-affiliating from last year do not need to submit a constitution if it has not changed since last year). If you are unsure on how to write a constitution please consult the Model Constitution in the affiliation application pack above. Please note – this year all clubs must confirm that their club only issues voting rights to Glasgow University student members. Please amend this section of your constitution if currently associate members can vote.
To take full advantage of the benefits of affiliation at least two (but ideally all) committee members must attend an induction session each academic year. It is also recommended that mini-bus drivers (or potential drivers) attend as well.
CLUBS ELIGIBLE TO AFFILIATE MUST:
- Have at least three committee members. (President, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Have a minimum of 15 members in total.
- All committee members must be current students of the university
- Have no more than 20% non-student members
- Not replicate the remit of an existing club or society. A club or society must be able to clearly demonstrate its specific purpose and identity, and for this to be different from any other pre-existing club or society.
THE BENEFITS (Click on the links for more info)
- SRC Minibus hire*
- Room bookings on campus
- Pigeonhole on request – clubs are required to check their mail frequently as uncollected post will either be returned to sender or destroyed if uncollected
- SRC Grants
- A Page on the SRC Club directory
- Eligibility to apply for a stall at Freshers’ Fair and run Freshers events
- Publicise club events on Welcome Point Screen
- HEAR: Higher Education Achievement Record
- Hot Water Flask
*subject to clubs meeting certain required criteria and, where relevant, availability of the service required.
Affiliation takes place throughout the academic year. The deadline for submitting an affiliation form is 5th June 2020 for the 19/20 academic year. Any club or society that has not affiliated will not be eligible to apply for a stall at Freshers’ Fair 2019.
You must reaffiliate at the start of each academic year, and if you do not reaffiliate by 18th October 2019, your 2018/19 affiliation will expire and you will not be able to book SRC services or use CTT until you reaffiliate.
GUSRC reserves the right to refuse affiliation to any club or society where concerns have been raised in the past and are considered to be unresolved. GUSRC also reserves the right to disaffiliate any clubs or societies that are considered to be acting in an improper manner and not for the best interests of students.
The decision of the Clubs and Societies Committee is FINAL