How do I start a club or society?
So you have an idea for a society, its completely unique and there is no other like it already on campus. You want to affiliate to the SRC so you can grow your society to new heights but where do you start?
Forms for SRC affiliation are available to download here: SRC Affiliation Pack 2017/18
So you have an idea for a society, it’s completely unique and there is no other like it already on campus. You want to affiliate to the SRC so you can grow your society to new heights but where do you start?
CLUBS ELIGIBLE TO AFFILIATE MUST:
- Have at least three committee members. (President, Secretary, Treasurer)
- Have a minimum of 15 members in total.
- All committee members must be current students of the university
- Have no more than 20% non-student members
- Not be affiliated with GUSA
- Not replicate the remit of an existing club or society. A club or society must be able to clearly demonstrate its specific purpose and identity, and for this to be different from any other pre-existing club or society. Clubs which promote short term or very specific causes are not generally affiliated by the SRC.
Affiliation with the SRC is a simple process, but it is not automatic. In order to apply to affiliate with the SRC, clubs must submit the following –
- Completed Affiliation Application form
- Signed GUSRC clubs and societies equal opportunities statement
- Full list of members, including the student numbers of all current student members
- Club Constitution
- Signed GUSRC constitutional requirements statement
To take full advantage of the benefits of affiliation at least two (but ideally all) committee members must attend an induction session each academic year. It is also recommended that mini-bus drivers (or potential drivers) attend as well.
THE BENEFITS (Click on the links for more info)
- SRC Minibus hire*
- Room bookings on campus
- Pigeonhole on request – clubs are required to check their mail frequently as uncollected post will either be returned to sender or destroyed if uncollected
- SRC Grants
- A Page on the SRC Club directory
- Eligibility to apply for a stall at Freshers’ Fair and run Freshers events
- Publicise club events on Welcome Point Screen
- HEAR: Higher Education Achievement Record
- Hot water flask
- A2 Advertising Posterboard
*subject to clubs meeting certain required criteria and, where relevant, availability of the service required.
Affiliation takes place throughout the academic year. The deadline for submitting an affiliation form is 1st June 2018 for the 17/18 academic year. Any club or society that has not affiliated will not be eligible to apply for a stall at Freshers’ Fair 2018.
You must reaffiliate in at the start of each academic year, and if you do not reaffiliate by the end of October, your affiliation will expire and you will not be able to book SRC services or use CTT.
GUSRC reserves the right to refuse affiliation to any club or society where concerns have been raised in the past and are considered to be unresolved. GUSRC also reserves the right to de-affiliate any clubs or societies that are considered to be acting in an improper manner and not for the best interests of students.
The decision of the Clubs and Societies Committee is FINAL