Mind Your Mate
The SRC has launched this suicide prevention training programme to help empower all UofG students to support themselves and each other
The ‘Mind Your Mate’ training programme is a 3 hour interactive workshop covering basic mental health awareness and suicide prevention skills. The overall aim of Mind Your Mate is to reduce the barriers preventing people from accessing the help they need, provide participants with the confidence and skills to help someone in crisis and reduce the stigma around discussing mental health and suicide. Mind Your Mate forms part of the SRC’s commitment to increasing opportunities for students to access peer-led early-intervention support and training.
The workshops are free and open to all students and staff at the University of Glasgow and details of upcoming open sessions are listed below. Please sign-up via the EventBrite link as numbers are capped for each workshop.
Previous participants have included staff and students who:
• wanted like to learn more about mental health and suicide in case they do come in contact with someone at risk
• were already concerned about someone in their lives
• were concerned about themselves
• hold a position or role where they came in contact with people who may have been at higher risk, including committee members of clubs and socs.
The subjects covered include:
• The core of suicide prevention
• Reasons why someone may become suicidal
• Reasons someone at risk may not access help
• Barriers to helping someone at risk
• How to help someone, using our ‘Look – Listen – Link’ model
• Support and resources within the University and the local area
• Maintaining your own mental health.
Our student and staff trainers have been professionally trained and evaluated by a specialist mental health charity and have already delivered the training to over 200 staff and students at the University of Glasgow in the last year. Feedback from participants so far has been overwhelmingly positive and following the initial pilot period the workshops are now being offered to all students through open sessions.
As well as open sessions we can also arrange workshops for specific groups of students. If you’d like to arrange a workshop for your club/society or your classmates please get in touch with email@example.com
Upcoming Open Sessions – click the link to register