VP Student Activities
Ameer Ibrahim Hello, my name is Ameer and I’m a 3rd Year Accountancy student. I am running to become your SRC Vice President Student Activities. My introduction to the SRC began through its student volunteering programmes and activities. Over time, I became aware of the role student council had on campus – this eventually led […]
Hello, my name is Ameer and I’m a 3rd Year Accountancy student. I am running to become your SRC Vice President Student Activities.
My introduction to the SRC began through its student volunteering programmes and activities. Over time, I became aware of the role student council had on campus – this eventually led me to become an SRC fresher’s helper. Experience with the logistics of helping students during their enrolment, and assisting with organisation of events, gave me a great appreciation of the work of the SRC.
After this opportunity I was subsequently inspired to run for council – I was eventually elected to the position of International Students Officer. Over the past academic year I have directly been involved with a number of initiatives and campaigns to promote continuing diversity, equality, and multiculturalism at the university. Interaction directly with international students to provide support on a broad number of issues has given me an understanding of the importance pertaining to active representation. The formation of the new international society (GUISOC) during Refreshers’ week in January was a great success. The huge turnout of the launch and subsequent events since, I believe is testament to the ever-growing sense of community amongst the estimated 25,000 student population at UofG. Refreshers’ week was largely my inspiration to run for VPSA.
- Enhance online channels with students by improving accessibility through social media to connect with the SRC and other cross-campus initiatives.
- Work to improve collaboration amongst the four student bodies across campus to discourage overlapping of events. Further to this, improve communication between clubs and societies to encourage joint activities and initiatives.
- Conduct a highly engaging Fresher’s week through: utilising resources to improve events, liaising with GUU, QMU, and GUSA, and increase overall promotion of events primarily via internet channels as a response from last year’s feedback.
- Work directly to promote voluntary opportunities including Movember, RAG (Raising and Giving), and further advise students of the various charitable endeavours available for them to participate with. I will also provide active support and encouragement to enable students to run their own fundraising campaigns and events.
- Engage with external organisations on an on-going basis to attain sponsorship for on-campus events.
- Increase recognition of the vast number of attributes acquired by active student participation with extracurricular pursuits – these pertain to: opportunities to develop a broad range of new skills, engage in thought-provoking political and subject-specific intellectual discussion, and potentially achieve a role on a society committee. This further learning and practical experience will substantially enhance the curriculum vitae of any graduate.
- Continue the work of the SRC by working alongside the university’s four student media organisations GUM, Guardian, GUST, and Subcity, to enhance promotion of events that take place during student Media Week, and throughout the year.
- Request that Canine Scotland return next year – ‘We want more dogs on campus!’
- Continue to work alongside SRC council to ensure that students receive the representation they deserve, and that their voices continue to be heard!