Gender Equality Officer
Hannah Gower Hi, I’m Hannah Gower, the SRC School of Medicine Rep, Dialectic Society President & Medic. I want to see students feel empowered to engage, discuss and change campus to become one where discrimination and gender roles no longer hinder students to achieve their full potential. Skills? SRC experience as a Rep and Learning […]
Hi, I’m Hannah Gower, the SRC School of Medicine Rep, Dialectic Society President & Medic. I want to see students feel empowered to engage, discuss and change campus to become one where discrimination and gender roles no longer hinder students to achieve their full potential.
- SRC experience as a Rep and Learning & Teaching Committee & Library Committee member
- Completed Equality & Diversity training
- Extensive engagement with the student body through various clubs & societies
- initiated this year’s IWW and engaged a societies to collobrate
- experience in leadership, communication and strategical planning.
- passionately dedicated to gender equality and encouraging students to get involved
- Hosting of “Open-to-all Coffee/Tea Discussions” to foster a discussion.
- Active campaigns to tackle all forms of harassment and gender inequality.
- Committed dedication to support Trans* rights on campus and increase the profile of the Trans* Remembrance Service
- Provision of voluntary Equality & Diversity Training materials to club/ societies.
- Continue the successful IWW and other integral campaigns
- Accountability by releasing council reports/documents publicly.
- Representation of students’ concerns raised, unaffected by own personal view.
- Form a working group of members from IEFemSoc, GU FemSoc, LGBTQ+, Welfare Officers etc
- president of the Feminist Society, used to a position of leadership with responsibility & shows passionate engagement with issues of gender oppression
- organised the first International Women’s Week last year, which got hundreds of students involved in gender equality on campus
- organised protest against L.A.M.B dinners, following which they left campus!
- three-time class rep (lol)
If elected I will:
- call for an in-depth gender equality review of all departments, in terms of curriculum, staff, & policies
- gender neutral toilets! more of them & greater visibility of existing ones
- work closely with the GUU & QMU to ensure zero tolerance of sexual harassment
- provide gender equality training for Freshers helpers, to properly prepare them to deal with sexual harassment which occurs during Freshers Week
- also propose training for lecturers & tutors, to target harming attitudes & encourage increased female tutorial contribution
- issue uni-wide campaign against transphobia
- provide safe-spaces on campus for sexual assault survivors
- collaborate closely with other equality officers to ensure the intersectionality of oppressions is tackled