School of Modern Languages and Cultures Representative
Caitlin Rottger Hello! I’m Caitlin Rottger. I’m a 2nd year German and Spanish student and I really REALLY want to be your next Modern Languages and Cultures Representative. I am an extremely lively and enthusiastic person who loves to talk to people, whether that be to help with something or just for general chit-chat. I […]
Hello! I’m Caitlin Rottger. I’m a 2nd year German and Spanish student and I really REALLY want to be your next Modern Languages and Cultures Representative.
I am an extremely lively and enthusiastic person who loves to talk to people, whether that be to help with something or just for general chit-chat. I also always fully commit to everything I do. Not only am I a member of the trampoline committee; I am also a trained coach and competition judge. My commitment to helping to run the club meant that I won the “Keen Bean” Award at the end of last year. This year, however, I would like to become even more involved with the university. This September I was a SRC Freshers’ Helper and I recently joining Hares and Hounds and the Athletics Club.
If elected, I will:
- Live up to my “Keen Bean” Award and fully commit to representing your views
- Regularly meet with students and class representatives to discuss any issues
- Provide more support for students going on their year abroad
- Make myself known within the Modern Languages Department to both staff and students
- Be a friendly face ☺
Having worked so hard to get to university, it is no surprise that as a Modern Languages student, you want to get the most out of your time at university. As someone who grew up in France and Switzerland and who is studying French for the next five years, I can relate to the passion that Modern Languages students have for languages that they are studying. I am running for the position of Representative of the School of Modern Languages and Cultures in this autumn’s GUSRC elections as I want to guarantee the satisfaction of all Modern Languages students. If elected, I would provide Modern Languages students with a way of expressing their views and concerns in a comfortable, secure manner by liaising with your class representatives to address any problems or queries which may arise concerning the study of Modern Languages. Voting for Emily Clinton as the Representative of the School of Modern Languages and Cultures will ensure that the time you spend studying in the School is as enjoyable and worthwhile as possible. Your vote in GUSRC elections counts towards your education, so vote for someone who will represent thousands of students at the University of Glasgow.
Hi, I’m Frankie and I’m a Senior Honours Spanish and French student. I spent my year abroad teaching in Madrid and also spent three months studying translation near Paris.
I have a lot of relevant experience that I can bring to the role as a School Representative. I have been a class rep in first year; have experience in dealing with issues raised by fellow students and representing their views to a wider audience. I was also on various committees and councils throughout my time at school. I’ve also studied five languages within SMLC, so I know how different the departments can be.
If elected, I aim to:
- Provide more support to students both on and preparing for their year or third term abroad.
- Introduce weekly drop-in sessions for advice (be it for year abroad, exams, other issues)
- Actively encourage more communication between the societies within the SMLC.
- Try and put into action more support measures to ease the transition from year abroad back into University life, especially for students studying a joint language degree with a non-SMLC subject.
- Engage with students to find out what issues are most important to you and to do my best to resolve them.