Privacy Notice – The Advice Centre
New data protection laws come into force on 25th May 2018. This privacy notice outlines how the Advice Centre processes your personal data given as part of an advice enquiry.
Your Personal Data
Glasgow University Students’ Representative Council (GUSRC) will be what’s known as the ‘Data Controller’ of your personal data processed in relation to the Advice Centre. This privacy notice will explain how GUSRC will process your personal data.
You may also find it useful to read other information about using the Advice Centre, including our confidentiality policy.
Why we need it
We are collecting your basic personal data such as name, contact details and other personal information and, where relevant, limited special categories data (such as disability, ethnicity, other health data) in order to
- Provide an effective advice service, the quality of which is monitored.
- Produce anonymous reporting to our main funder and other stakeholders, and for internal service improvement reviews.
- Contact you again on a one-off basis, to invite you to provide feedback on our service.
We will only collect data that we need in order to provide and oversee this service to you.
Legal basis for processing your data
We must have a legal basis for processing all personal data. In this instance, the legal basis is consent. We will ask for your consent before we record any personal details.
What we do with it and who we share it with
- All the personal data you submit is processed by Advice Centre staff at the Glasgow University Students’ Representative Council in the United Kingdom.
- The web interface for the database is not accessible from the internet, only specific pre-approved IP addresses. Furthermore, connections to it are encrypted.
- The system that hosts the database is maintained and secured according to best practices.
- Remote access to the system is cryptographically authenticated and connections to it are encrypted.
- Physical access to the system is restricted.
How long do we keep it for?
Your data will be retained by GUSRC for six years. After this time, data will be securely deleted.
What are your rights?
You can request access to the information we process about you at any time. If at any point you believe that the information we process relating to you is incorrect, you can request to see this information and may in some instances request to have it restricted, corrected or, erased. You may also have the right to object to the processing of data and the right to data portability.
Where we have relied upon your consent to process your data, you also have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, please follow our Complaints Procedure.
If you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are not processing your personal data in accordance with the law, you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) https://ico.org.uk/